Make questions in English it may seem complicated at first glance, but the truth is that it is not, but we only understand the structure of the interrogations. Also, we must know the interrogative particles that are called “WH questions “, since their initials are -mostly- these two consonants. If you want to know more about this topic, in a How we explain in detail and examples what are the WH questions.
WH questions: what
The particle “what” is one of the so-called “WH questions” and translated into Spanish would correspond to the interrogative “what”, although sometimes it can also function as “which / which”.
- What did you do yesterday night? -> What did you do last night?
- What are you thinking about? -> What are you thinking?
- What is your name? -> What is your name? / What is your name?
WH questions: which
Also, to ask questions that we would translate for “which …? In English we have the interrogative” which. “This WH question is used to refer to certain objects, among which one must choose.
- Which is the cheapest one? -> Which is the cheapest?
- Which is your sister? -> What is your sister?
- Which dress are you going to dress? -> Which of the dresses will you put on? / What dress are you going to wear?
WH questions: who
When asking about people, we must use the English interrogatory particle “who”, which would be equivalent to the Spanish “who”.
- Who is that woman? -> Who is that woman?
- Who did you see in Barcelona? -> Who did you see in Barcelona?
WH questions: when
Another of the WH questions that this time is used to ask about about time is “when”. In this way, we can translate it as “when” and the response will indicate a moment in time.
When did you arrive? -> When did you arrive?
When are you going to study? -> When will you study?
WH questions: where
And if what we want is to ask in English about place, we should use the interrogative formula “where”, that is, the one corresponding to the Spanish term “where”.
- Where are you? -> Where are you?
- Where did you buy this jacket? -> Where did you buy this jacket?
WH questions: why
Among the WH questions, we also find the one used to ask about the reason for something; what in Spanish we would ask with “why”, in English it corresponds to “why”.
- Why are you coming late? -> Why are you late?
- Why did you get angry? -> Why did you get angry?
WH questions: how
Finally, although this particle does not start with “wh”, we must highlight “how” within the WH questions, since it is used to ask about mode or manner, that is, what is translated in Spanish by “how”.
- How are you? -> How are you?
- How did you find this offer? -> How did you find this offer?
It should also be noted that the “how” particle is also a construction for other questioning formulas in English -especially in reference to countless quantities- that are not necessarily translated by “how”:
- How old are you -> How old are you?
- How long did it take you to arrive here? -> How long did it take you to get here?
- How much does it cost? -> How much does this cost? / What price do you have?
Article Source: Tape Daily